Roses Are Red, Violets Are Blue




Can I tell you a secret? Well, it won’t be a secret after I share it with you, but it really wasn’t a secret to begin with. I don’t like Valentine’s Day. I’ve never liked it, and as I’m married to a guy that isn’t big on the traditional romantic gestures, we’re fine on this front. There are no bouquets of roses, tin foiled heart shaped chocolates or dinners at fancy restaurants. I think we’ve been out on Valentine’s twice. The first time was when I was pregnant with Mia and the second time a few years back, with the kids. Sorry for breaking the rules. I like to buy my own flowers; I know which chocolates I like and I’m definitely not into fine dining. We tried that once too and felt terribly out of place and awkward.

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately we seem to be raising three children that are equally opposed to this day of love. They’re mainly excited for the candy, not writing 25 cards for their classmates, and Mia was relieved when she found out that Valentine’s isn’t a thing in middle school. This morning they asked me at the breakfast table; Mom, we aren’t doing anything for Valentine’s? Right? Or do you want something…. You never do! And I watched their faces when I replied that this year, I wanted them to cook me a fancy dinner, buy roses and hire someone to serenade me at the door. Just a joke dears. Just a joke.



Now you’re thinking, what a Negative Nelly. What’s wrong about celebrating love! Nothing. I have nothing against you celebrating this holiday but for me love isn’t roses and chocolates, not even once a year. Love is in him offering to preview the five homes I didn’t have time to. Love is him driving all the way up to Lake Stevens to take pictures when I forgot to. Love is the lunch I pack him and the car he washed for me. Love is in me letting him sleep in and him allowing me to go to bed early. Love is in our everyday actions rather than a once a year thing. And this is what I’m trying to teach our kids as well. Love is in the big small gestures in your everyday life.  

I am wishing you a Happy Valentine’s day though. Hope you’ve made your reservations. Hope the dinner is great and that you’re enjoying your time! This year it is a Friday night and at my house it will look like pizza and a movie, together with the kids.

Do I adore the tealight holder Magnus made me? Absolutely!


Comments